The Navajo Tribe is dedicated to building employment and business opportunities for its membership. Tribal Enterprises and Major Growth Centers on the reservation continue to be a part of the Tribe’s goal for continual economic development growth and expansion for its members.
The Navajo Nation continues to use Growth Center Strategy as part of its economic development activity. The Growth Center Strategy is based on the diffusion theory, reasoning that economic development gradually expands from major designated commercial areas to nearby and outlying regions. We utilize this strategy from planning stages to construction and actual implementation.
Potential impacts from utilizing Growth Center Strategy include:
- Providing employment opportunities
- Offering direct retail service to local consumers
- Developing an economic base for the community and surrounding areas
- Preventing a portion of leakage of Navajo dollars to nearby
- Providing opportunities for Navajo and Non-Navajos to go into business
- Generating revenue